Friday, November 5, 2010

Trying to find a dietitian/nutritionist [Forum]

Today I tried to find a dietitian or nutritionist near me. Silly me, I thought it would be like finding a local dentist. I wouldn't call it a complete failure. But you'd think that in a major metro area there would be plenty of them. Well I found some, but not very close and it wasn't easy.
First off I tried the phone book. If you look up nutritionist or dietitian in the phone book you will see big full color ads for Nutrisystem and other popular diet programs followed by a few other listings in tiny print. How nice.
So I tried typing the word nutrionist into the online yellow pages. What I got ranged from listing for GNC's and other vitamin stores, to listing for centers that supply food to low income mothers, to listings for actual nutritionists . But several of the phone numbers I called didn't work, and those that did were for nutritionist that worked for certain health insurance plans that I wasn't on.
So I called my health insurance provider and asked them can they find me dietition or nutritionist that is on my plan. The operator asked me "Is this for diabities?". I said "No this is for weight loss". She said "Ok, dietitians for weightloss isn't covered".
Now this is interesting because the overweight are blamed for raising everyones premiums and whatever else.... but weight loss isn't covered at least by my company.
But the operator did let me know they have coupons and discounts to Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, gyms, and other services. So I guess that saves face a little.
I did find one place I really liked , but it's a little far just to go to a doctors office. I'd hate to think what would happen if I lived in rural area.
Now I see why Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, and Weight Watchers are so popular.